The organization of the X-ray Department and Institute at the István Tisza University in Debrecen was entrusted to Gyula Elischer. The Institute started its operation in 1922 under the name of Central X Ray Institute but was closed after the death of Professor Elischer in 1929. The turn of the millennium brought about decisive changes in the history of the Clinic as the Radiotherapy Department became a separate organizational unit, a new Radiology Diagnostic Centre was established on the Auguszta site and the first steps towards the modernization of the instrumentation were also taken. Since 2018 the unit is known as the Medical Imaging Clinic under the auspices of the University of Debrecen.
2. Main areas of care and specialties
- Radiology (X ray, ultrasound, CT diagnostics, MR diagnostics)
- Central angiography department
- Pediatric radiology
- Angiographic and vascular interventional procedures
- Other interventional procedures
3. Technology and development projects
Our state-of-the-art equipment and recent infrastructure development projects include
- a new Central Diagnostics building with two high performance scanners: a 16-section CT scanner and an MR scanner;
- state-of-the-art high-performance ultrasound equipment for ultrasound diagnostics;
- the acquisition and installation of a Senographe mammography unit for breast screening and clinical diagnostic purposes;
- the establishment of the interventional radiology laboratory in 2007 followed by the installation of a DSA unit on the premises of the Auguszta site.
One of our major plans is to develop an institutional PACS system enabling us to create workstations for teleconsultation and facilitate tele-radiology.
Ervin Berényi M.D.
Director, Full Professor